Darland, Dennis (9 October 1951 - )
Darland was born in Rock Island, Illinois, and grew up in Ottumwa, Iowa. He received his B.A. in mathematics, physics, and philosophy, graduating magna cum laude in 1973 from Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois. He then studied computer science from 1992 to 1996 at Marycrest International University, Davenport, Iowa, and at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska (1977 - 1978).
He has been employed by the following:
- • Data Processing Director (June 1979 - May 1985), Rock Island County, Rock Island Illinois.
- • Lee Enterprises, Davenport, Iowa - Senior Systems Engineer (May 1985 - June 1993). Design and Implementation of Voice Response System in C.
- • Independent Consultant (June 1993 - June 1994). Design and implementation of voice response software primarily in C
- • TeleDirect International, Davenport, Iowa - Senior Software Engineer (June 1994 - February 1997). Developed predictive dialing software, primarily using C++.
- • Montgomery KONE, Moline, Illinois - Senior Technical Programmer (July 1997 - January 1998). Developed elevator firmware, primarily using PL/M
Darland's volunteer work includes the following:
- • Treasurer, The Bertrand Russell Society, (February 1980 - February 2007).
- • Developed open source software in Maple for symbolic evaluation of Einstein's law of gravity (general relativity, 1988-present).
- • Developed open source software in Unicon and Ruby for arbitrary precision floating point arithmetic and numeric solution of systems of ordinary differential equations (2000 - present but experimenting with in some form since 1978).
He is a Unitarian and belongs to the following organizations:
- • The Bertrand Russell Society;
- • The Center for Process Studies;
- • Association of Computing Machinery;
- • Sigma Pi Sigma;
- • and the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
Darland currently lives in Rock Island, Illinois.